The image shows Hotel Dieu in 1953. It was situated at the corner of Stanton and Arizona streets.
The old building had gradually been substituted by this new construction.
In 1892 Sister Stella had bought the site and with $60,000 borrowed from the Motherhouse, three Daughters of Charity started building Hotel Dieu in 1893. It was the first general hospital in El Paso, Texas. There was no electricity and lighting was done by gas. Heat was provided by wood fires. In need for more trained personnel, the sisters also started a nursing school connected with the Hotel Dieu in 1898.
In 1987, the hospital was sold to Millbrook, and the name was changed to Landmark Medical Center. One year later, the hospital was sold again. Columbia purchased the medical center and closed it later that same year. The building was demolished in 2003.
New Hotel Dieu Hospital
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
A Scenic View post card of Rio Grande Ave El Paso TX.
The Martin building, located at the corner Mills and Stanton Streets, was built in 1917. It is an example of...
The Kress building is located at 100 E. Millls Ave. Perhaps the funkiest building downtown, this former 5-and-10 store opened...
street photos; downtown on mesa St. and Texas between; Manuel De La Rosa Jr.(brother)
Shows part of toilet, sink and bath tub. Industrial grade fixtures. "Rail" around wall- has holders for mirror or medicine...
Father walking downtown - Rodriguez Sanchez Family.
Cousin and Uncle - business in background maybe Casa Cotera that was specializing in coffee.
Ana and her Parents. Possibly near State National
Graciela "Chela" worked for Farah on Paisano. Remembers people spitting on her at the protest. In front of Popular Dept....
on El Paso St. downtown (names are listed).