Mt. Sinai Temple - 1910's

Mt. Sinai Temple - 1910's

Image of Mt. Sinai Temple, the second home of the temple from 1916 to 1962. This building was designed by Henry Trost in 1916 and is located at the corner of Montana St. and N. Oregon St. It now belongs to the El Paso Community College and is used as an administrative building. Excerpt from Rabbi Martin Zielonka’s written testimony on the thirtieth anniversary of Mt. Sinai Congregation in El Paso, TX. https://www.templemountsinai.com/Who-We-Are/History/Early-History-1880's--1928 “In order to meet the demands that the large soldier congregation imposed upon the local community, work on the temple was rushed and the main auditorium of the temple was completed for the Fall Holy Day services in 1916. Dedication of the temple took place on December 8, 9, 10, 1916, after the building had been completed and the furniture installed. Following the dedication on December 11, 1916, El Paso Lodge I. 0. B. B. held a special service. On Friday night, December 8, 1916, at 7: 30 the temple was dedicated. Mr. Robert Krakauer, chairman of the building committee, presented the keys of the same to Mr. A. A. Kline, president of the congregation, who accepted the same in the name of the congregation. Rabbi M. Faber, of Tyler, Texas, delivered the consecration prayer; Rabbi George Fox read the Scriptures; Rabbi Zielonka delivered the Consecration Sermon and Rabbi Max Heller of New Orleans, La., delivered the Dedication Sermon. The Temple' with a seating capacity of 750, compared to 250 in the old building, was packed to the doors. The community joined with the members in this celebration. The celebration continued on Saturday morning when Scriptures were read by Rabbi Faber, the sermon delivered by Rabbi Moise Bergman of Albuquerque, N. Mex., and the closing prayer given by Rabbi George Fox. The celebration reached its climax at the "Felicitation Service" on Sunday afternoon at 4 P. M. when Rabbi Bergman delivered the invocation, A. A. Kline, president of the congregation, welcomed the audience; Rev. Perry Rice, of the Christian Church, brought greetings from the Christian Churches of the city; Chaplain John T. Axton, Chaplain 2Oth Infantry U. S. A., brought greetings from the army and Rabbi Heller responded in behalf of all the greetings. It was a service that will linger long in the memory of the members of Temple Mt. Sinai.”

Área: Central / Sunset Heights

Fuente: El Paso Public Library

Cargado por: El Paso Museum of History

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

"In 2020 this building was under the authority of El Paso Community College." - Eva Ross

Reportar esta entrada

Elige la razón más importante para este reporte

Tu nombre

Tu correo electrónico

Detalle opcional

Gracias por su reporte

Más sobre la misma comunidad-colección

Vista del distrito histórico de Sunset Heights

The image shows parts of the historic Sunset Heights district. ...

Vista de Sunset Heights

The image shows parts of the Sunset Heights neighborhood. The ...

Sra. Clara Jane Hawkins

Mrs. Clara Jane Hawkins received the Congressional Medal of ...

Srita. Ann Bucher

She was a member of a pioneer family. Her father, William ...

Mayor Richard Burges

RICHARD FENNER BURGES(January 7, 1873 - January 13, 1945) ...

Clase de Confirmación de Mt. Sinai

The image shows the Mt. Sinai confirmation class in 1925. The ...

Michael T. Hutson

Michael J. Hutson was a lawyer in El Paso, Texas. He also was a ...

Betty Azar

Betty Azar is a well known person of the community. Also a ...

Al (Grace) Adkins

She grew up in El Paso and attended Houston school before ...

Barbara Dent - El Paso, Tejas

Barbara Dent who is a long resident of El Paso, Texas. She was a ...

Robert Kelly

Robert Kelly was a retired Army Colonel and past president of El ...

Richard F. Burges

RICHARD FENNER BURGES(January 7, 1873 - January 13, 1945) ...

Henry Trost

Between 1903 and Henry Trost's death on September 19, 1933, the ...

Casa privada

This home is located on the high ground above El Paso's downtown ...

Srta. Mary Harrison Gates (Sra. C.R. Morehead)

Miss Gates is standing in front of the home of Maj. and Mrs. ...

Burges Home

This house is called “Burges Home” and is the current site ...

House in Sunset Heights

The image shows one of the pretty houses in Sunset Heights ...

Mural at Sunset Pumping Station

The picture shows the mural by Carlos Rossas at the wall of the ...

Sign at Sunset Pumping Station

With the arrival of the railroad in 1881, American El Paso ...

Wallace Apartments in Sunset Heights - El Paso, Texas

Built in 1903 and named for owner George E. Wallace, these ...

Grocery Store in Sunset Heights

The picture shows the Sunset Grocery store, situated in the ...

House in Sunset Heights

The image shows one of the pretty houses in Sunset Heights. ...

Former Henry C. Trost House - El Paso, Texas

This house in El Paso,Texas was designed by the star architect ...

home.search_collection