Mt. Sinai Temple - 1910's
Mt. Sinai Temple - 1910's
Image of Mt. Sinai Temple, the second home of the temple from 1916 to 1962. This building was designed by Henry Trost in 1916 and is located at the corner of Montana St. and N. Oregon St. It now belongs to the El Paso Community College and is used as an administrative building. Excerpt from Rabbi Martin Zielonka’s written testimony on the thirtieth anniversary of Mt. Sinai Congregation in El Paso, TX. https://www.templemountsinai.com/Who-We-Are/History/Early-History-1880's--1928 “In order to meet the demands that the large soldier congregation imposed upon the local community, work on the temple was rushed and the main auditorium of the temple was completed for the Fall Holy Day services in 1916. Dedication of the temple took place on December 8, 9, 10, 1916, after the building had been completed and the furniture installed. Following the dedication on December 11, 1916, El Paso Lodge I. 0. B. B. held a special service. On Friday night, December 8, 1916, at 7: 30 the temple was dedicated. Mr. Robert Krakauer, chairman of the building committee, presented the keys of the same to Mr. A. A. Kline, president of the congregation, who accepted the same in the name of the congregation. Rabbi M. Faber, of Tyler, Texas, delivered the consecration prayer; Rabbi George Fox read the Scriptures; Rabbi Zielonka delivered the Consecration Sermon and Rabbi Max Heller of New Orleans, La., delivered the Dedication Sermon. The Temple' with a seating capacity of 750, compared to 250 in the old building, was packed to the doors. The community joined with the members in this celebration. The celebration continued on Saturday morning when Scriptures were read by Rabbi Faber, the sermon delivered by Rabbi Moise Bergman of Albuquerque, N. Mex., and the closing prayer given by Rabbi George Fox. The celebration reached its climax at the "Felicitation Service" on Sunday afternoon at 4 P. M. when Rabbi Bergman delivered the invocation, A. A. Kline, president of the congregation, welcomed the audience; Rev. Perry Rice, of the Christian Church, brought greetings from the Christian Churches of the city; Chaplain John T. Axton, Chaplain 2Oth Infantry U. S. A., brought greetings from the army and Rabbi Heller responded in behalf of all the greetings. It was a service that will linger long in the memory of the members of Temple Mt. Sinai.”
CommentsAdd a comment
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
Katie enjoying the sun
Katie the German Pinscher relaxes on a balcony in Sunset ...