Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy Billboard with Students, 1990 - El Paso, Texas

The image shows the billboard sign of Loretto Academy; three students are standing or sitting next to it. In the background, Saint Joseph's chapel can be seen. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Billboard Sign on Lawn circa 1990.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

March is Women's History Month. Loretto Academy in El Paso, TX has a long history of developing women leaders.

May Procession 1958

In this image students of Loretto Academy join the May Procession of their school in 1958. In the background, the Academy itself can be seen. Loretto Academy is in the Austin Terrace neighborhood of El Paso, Texas. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: May Procession 1958.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Food Drive by Loretto Academy, 1998

Loretto Academy organized a Food Drive for the Salvation Army on Christmas 1998. In the image, students put all the collected cans on the steps of Loretto Academy. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Canned Food Drive Salvation Army Xmas 1998.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

March is Women's History Month annually in the USA. Food drives are a part of routine training in work in the community for students at this Catholic school in El Paso TX. Loretto Academy to celebrate centennial in 2023-24.

Loretto Academy - Playing in the Snow, 1950s

The image shows students of Loretto Academy playing in the snow. It dates from the 1950s. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Loretto Snowbunnies 1950s.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

March is Women's History Month annually in the USA. White blouse, navy sweater, gray skirt as uniforms were recognizable all around El Paso, TX.

Loretto Academy - Little Women

Students of Loretto Academy are performing the play Little Women in 1958. Theater was one of the subjects on which the school focused. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Loretto 1958 Play Little Women 3.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

March is Women's History Month. Alcott's work had major impact on women of USA.

Loretto Academy - Class of 1953

The image shows three students of the 1953 class of Loretto Academy. It looks like they are performing a dance. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Class of 1953.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Prom Night at Loretto Academy, 1940s

The image shows a scene of the prom night at Loretto Academy. It dates from the 1940s. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Prom 1940s.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Loretto Tennis Players, 1940s

The image shows tennis players of Loretto Academy in the 1940s. Tennis was one of the sports offered by the school. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Loretto Tennis Players 1940s.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Tag Women's History Month,

Notice clothing used by students.

Photo taken in El Paso, TX.

Loretto pupils with Santa in 1940s

The image shows 2nd grade pupils with Santa Claus in front of Loretto chapel. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: 1940s and WWII-Elementary WACS 1940s during WWII with Santa.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Efforts to win WWII controlled the lives of every American. Sugar, tires, and nylon stocking were rationed. Expansion of nearby Ft. Bliss during the war brought children of the military to Loretto as boarders. Sr. Edwardine Boone Ph.D. was principal in 1947. Loretto celebrated its Silver Anniversary. St. Joseph's Academy at 704 S. El Paso St was staffed by Sr. William Joseph Garcia, Sr. Bernice Juen, Sr. Marie Vincent Tallon and others.

"March is Women's History Month." - Eva Ross

Reportar esta entrada

Elige la razón más importante para este reporte

Tu nombre

Tu correo electrónico

Detalle opcional

Gracias por su reporte

Más sobre la misma comunidad-colección

Edificio "Little-Caples"

Little Caples Building in downtown El Paso, Texas. Located at ...

Ayuntamiento

Intersection of Myrtle & San Antonio Streets between 1910-1920. ...

Escena de calle-Paseo de Automóviles

This section of North Kansas Street was known as "Automobile ...

Edificio Abdou

Henry Trost designed this seven-story reinforced concrete ...

Iglesia yJuzgados del Condado en la década de 1890

This picture, dating back to the 1890s, shows the County ...

Vista de El Paso desde Mesa Garden

The picture captures El Paso between 1890 and 1900. It was taken ...

La compañia Popular de bienes de consumo

The Popular department store chain, founded by Adolph Schwartz, ...

Picapleitos a caballo

Lawmen on horseback in downtown El Paso, Texas.

Tranvía en el Centro

A street car travels between the Grand Hotel and the El Paso ...

Bar Local en El Paso, Texas

A local bar in El Paso, Texas between 1910 - 1920.

Otis A. Aultman

Otis A. Aultman playing cards with friends, he is to the far ...

Centro de El Paso

Image of downtown El Paso between 1910-1920. City Hall to the ...

El Paso Predicadores

This group of Protestant ministers includes Dr. Poe of the ...

Cámara de Comercio Universidad Almuerzo

These are the past and present directors of the El Paso Chamber ...

Estadio de Béisbol

Southwest University Park is a stadium in El Paso, Texas. It is ...

Casa Blanca Departamento de tienda

The popularity of the White House exceeded the size of its ...

Estadio de Béisbol

Southwest University Park is a stadium in El Paso, Texas. It is ...

Placa de la avenida San Antonio

This sign marks the corner of East San Antonio Avenue and South ...

Arquitectura

A once beautiful building in downtown El Paso, TX.

Farola

Downtown El Paso is dotted with revival styles from the turn of ...

Señalamiento de la Calle Norte Mesa en el centro de El Paso, Texas

Image of N. Mesa Street with sign and lamp post in downtown El ...

Letrero de la tienda Kress

This sign marks the location of Kress & Co. Department store at ...

Salón Betty Moor MacGuire - El Paso Texas

Photograph of the Betty Moor MacGuire Hall. The picture features ...

home.search_collection