Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy - 1940 - Present

Loretto Academy Billboard with Students, 1990 - El Paso, Texas

The image shows the billboard sign of Loretto Academy; three students are standing or sitting next to it. In the background, Saint Joseph's chapel can be seen. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Billboard Sign on Lawn circa 1990.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

May Procession 1958

In this image students of Loretto Academy join the May Procession of their school in 1958. In the background, the Academy itself can be seen. Loretto Academy is in the Austin Terrace neighborhood of El Paso, Texas. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: May Procession 1958.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Food Drive by Loretto Academy, 1998

Loretto Academy organized a Food Drive for the Salvation Army on Christmas 1998. In the image, students put all the collected cans on the steps of Loretto Academy. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Canned Food Drive Salvation Army Xmas 1998.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Loretto Academy - Playing in the Snow, 1950s

The image shows students of Loretto Academy playing in the snow. It dates from the 1950s. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Loretto Snowbunnies 1950s.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Loretto Academy - Little Women

Students of Loretto Academy are performing the play Little Women in 1958. Theater was one of the subjects on which the school focused. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Loretto 1958 Play Little Women 3.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Loretto Academy - Class of 1953

The image shows three students of the 1953 class of Loretto Academy. It looks like they are performing a dance. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Class of 1953.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Prom Night at Loretto Academy, 1940s

The image shows a scene of the prom night at Loretto Academy. It dates from the 1940s. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Prom 1940s.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Loretto Tennis Players, 1940s

The image shows tennis players of Loretto Academy in the 1940s. Tennis was one of the sports offered by the school. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: Loretto Tennis Players 1940s.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Loretto pupils with Santa in 1940s

The image shows 2nd grade pupils with Santa Claus in front of Loretto chapel. The Sisters of Loretto began the educational efforts in El Paso and were later supported by Bishop Schuler (1869-1944), who became the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese El Paso from 1915 to 1942. He and Mother Praxedes Carty (1854-1933), local superior of the Sisters of Loretto, were the thriving force behind the construction of Loretto Academy. The architectural firm Trost & Trost was commissioned to design the building. In September 1923, the School was opened on the Trowbridge property, and St. Joseph Academy, forerunner of Loretto Academy, was transferred from San Elizario to the new school. 143 students enrolled – taught by eight teachers. It took 14 more years to complete the three main units. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid in 1924. The arrangement of the buildings, by design, face Mexico and reach out in a welcoming gesture. Indeed, in the following years, Loretto Academy grew and young women from the surrounding states and Mexico came to El Paso to be educated there. Sister Francetta initiated the construction of new buildings, like the cafeteria, elementary school, Hilton-Young Hall and the swimming pool. The convent housed nearly one hundred Sisters who staffed the Academy and various parochial schools throughout the city of El Paso. Gradually, many other educational activities were added; including ministry to the gangs, work with Girl's Club, ministry to the very poor, ministry to the deaf, a tutoring school, catechetical work, ministry to the elderly, teaching English as a second language, adult education, and pastoral ministry. The boarding school closed in 1975 and was converted into a Middle School for girls. In the 1990s, Loretto continued to accept girls from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade and boys through fifth grade. Recently, the convent has been converted to a retreat center for community organizations. The number of Sisters has declined but the traditions and beliefs of Loretto Academy continue today. Sources: http://www.loretto.org/history/all-pages/ http://epcc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=309255&sid=2583799

Área: Central / Austin Terrace

Fuente: C.L. Sonnichsen Special Collections, University of Texas at El Paso Library. Collection Name: MS447 Ross, Eva. Photo ID: 1940s and WWII-Elementary WACS 1940s during WWII with Santa.

Cargado por: UTEP Library Special Collections

Comentarios

Hacer un comentario
Gracias por su comentario

Reportar esta entrada

Elige la razón más importante para este reporte

Tu nombre

Tu correo electrónico

Detalle opcional

Gracias por su reporte

Más sobre la misma comunidad-colección

Street scene

A street scene in Downtown El Paso. The picture was taken in ...

Downtown El Paso

A street scene in Downtown El Paso. The picture was taken in ...

Church's Chicken

Church's Chicken fast food restaurant next to Walgreens on ...

Man on bench

Unknown man sitting on bench in downtown El Paso.

Downtown, Street Scene

A street scene on El Paso Street, Downtown El Paso.

Merrick Building

The Merrick building was built in 1887 in the Victorian style ...

Geneva Loan & Jewelry CO Down Town El Paso

Geneva Loan & Jewelry CO, was established in 1912 and is on 222 ...

Workers in downtown

Construction workers at the El Paso Chamber of Commerce and El ...

Street corner Mesa / Mills

The image shows construction in downtown El Paso, at the corner ...

.Schuster Ave and Mesa St.

Intersection of Schuster Avenue and Mesa Street in El Paso, ...

Police cars

Police cars blocking Oregon Street at Missouri in down town El ...

EL Paso Police

El Paso Police Depart cars blocking the way on Mesa Street in ...

Street Art

Chalk the Block is quickly becoming an El Paso signature event. ...

Tony Canales como Boxeador

This pictures shows Tony Canales dressed with a sport suit, ...

El Cronómetro y Roma Hotel - El Paso, Tejas

This picture shows the El Cronómetro, a jewelry and watches ...

Dentro de El Cronómetro - El Paso, Tejas

This picture is taken inside the El Cronómetro, a jewelry store ...

La Empresa La Esmeralda - El Paso, Tejas

Valente Cruz, Carmen, Maria Cruz and Louis Tschantré are ...

Carmen Tschantré 1

This picture dates from February 1929. It shows Carmen ...

Carmen Tschantré 2

"This picture shows Carmen Tschantré. She is dressed up ...

Sur Calle El Paso Inundada - 1920's

The picture shows South El Paso Street flooded. Kids are playing ...

Dirigible Graf Zeppelin - El Paso, Texas

The airship LZ-127 Graf Zeppelin overflew El Paso in the early ...

La sobre de La Esmeralda

The picture features an envelope of La Esmeralda. The famous ...

Tienda La Esmeralda

Carmen Tschantré is standing in front of the well-known jewelry ...

home.search_collection