The image shows Principal Olalee McCall, George Chandler, and Estine Davis posing with their students in front of Douglass School. The School had been organized by black families in 1883. It added a high school program in the 1890s. In 1920, the School moved to its current location on Eucalyptus Street. The school became both a place to learn and a social center for black families until El Paso public schools were desegregated in 1956. The School was named after Frederick Douglass (1817-1895), who escaped slavery and devoted his life to the abolition movement and black rights in the United States. In the 1940s, the number of students had increased to 383.
Olalee McCall was an English teacher at Douglass School, before she became the first female high-school principal in the El Paso Independent School District in 1937. The house of the McCall family was purchased by the city in 1985 and became the McCall Neighborhood Center. It now is the community center of the African American community in El Paso.
George Chandler served in World War II and returned to El Paso after. He then taught English and choir at Douglass School.
Teachers and Students in front of Douglass School in the 1940s
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
We participated in the Walk of Hope hosted by El Paso's Children Hospital at Ascarate Park. After finishing the walk...
Visiting the new reptile house at the El Paso zoo
A snapshot of family memories made at the El Paso Zoo.
EPCC held its first Arts Festival.
Late November snow on the Memorial grounds (2007).
Directed by Rodolfo Hernandez, Ritmos Norteños brings traditional polka dancing in an annual performance at the Chamizal Memorial Theater.
Rodolfo Hernandez, renowned instructor of folklorico in both El Paso and Cd Juarez
Map compiled from Boundary Commission maps of 1852, from County Surveyors records and from January 1898 survey. Map outlines Ponce...
This was last years, 2017 fourth of July fireworks display. We did not have the best view because the trees...
traditional dance in el paso tx and mexico
Medium sized Bass returned to Ascarate Lake September 2017.
Border Patrol 1931 - El Paso, Texas - District 25, Sub-District 2 - Armistice Day, Nov. 11, 1931.
Border Patrol - first Border Patrol Academy Class made up of recruits from the entire Mexican Border. Photograph taken in...
U.S. Border Patrol - El Paso, Texas - 1937 - Camp Chigas located near the Chamizal area. Photograph taken at...
Border Patrol - El Paso, Texas - 1931 - photograph of the Border Patrol in El Paso, Texas.