The image shows the El Paso Sanatorium at 1109 N. Cotton Street in 1910.
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, tuberculosis spread rapidly in the United States.
Throughout most of the 19th century, pulmonary tuberculosis was thought to be a hereditary disease aggravated by humid air, damp soil, lack of exercise, inadequate diet, and overcrowded and poorly ventilated housing. However, in 1882, German physician Robert Koch described the rod-shaped organism called the tubercle bacillus that causes tuberculosis. The microscopic bacteria were impossible to destroy unless exposed to heat or light. Since most infections came from people with pulmonary TB, such people needed to be isolated to check the spread of the disease.
The Southwest, including El Paso, was considered ideal for the treatment of TB because of its dry, warm climate. It attracted TB patients from all over the country. The completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1881 encouraged tuberculars to come west.
Early care of TB patients consisted of sitting in parks to absorb the sun and convalescence in private homes. This method was ineffective and many people died.
The migration of infected persons in search of a climatic cure created a major public health problem for sections of the Southwest from the late 1890s through the 1920s.
During this period, many sanatoriums and hospitals opened to treat tuberculars and this deadly disease helped establish El Paso as a health center.
One of the sanatoria, which treated TB patients was the El Paso Sanatorium, which opened in 1910. It is now an apartment house.
El Paso Sanatorium, 1910
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
Climbing trees at Tom Lea park
A nice Saturday in October - young boy on upper level of Tom Lea Park with view of Downtown El...
Stormsville was built by refugees from the 1897 river flood, on land owned by a lawyer named Storms.
Stormsville was started in 1897 by refugees from a river flood, on property owned by a lawyer named Storms.
Stormsville was built in 1897 by refugees from the Rio Grande flooding, on land owned by a lawyer named Storms.
Stormsville was created by refugees from the river flooding in 1897, on property owned by a lawyer named Storms.
The photograph shows the entrance hall and staircase of Charles Given's home. His identity is unknown. The home was located...
The photograph shows the bedroom of Charles Given in 1930. His home was located on Rim Road. The identity of...
The image shows the house of Charles Given on Rim Road in El Paso, Texas circa 1930. The identity of...
The early 1900s health care history of El Paso was mainly concerned with the treatment and curing of tuberculosis. With...
Mexican adobe house, Mt. Franklin in distance, El Paso, Texas. Possibly Stormsville.
The image shows the downtown area from the scenic drive.
The image shows downtown El Paso and the surrounding area.
The neighborhood on top of the hill is called Rim-University. At the bottom of the picture the El Paso High...
The image shows parts of the westside of the Franklin Mountains. El Paso High School is at the bottom of...