Joseph Magoffin was born in Chihuahua, Mexico. During the Civil War, he and his brother joined the Confederate Army. Magoffin was a Roman Catholic and a pioneer in the city of El Paso. He was a large landowner and even served as Mayor of El Paso.
In 1882, masons established the El Paso Independent School District. Joseph Magoffin, Samuel J. Freudenthal, and Edward C. Pew were the founding trustees. The first superintendent was Calvin W. Esterly. These men all belonged to the masonic lodge, El Paso Lodge # 130 A.F. & A.M. The same trend found through the state of Texas, masons believed that informed citizens could ultimately master their fate.
“The Lodges sought to civilize, to teach manners and decorum, to augment the order and harmony of civil society. They taught men to speak in public, to keep records, to pay taxes, to be tolerant, to debate freely, to vote, to moderate their feasting, and to give lifelong devotions to the other citizens of their order.”
*Masons founded institutions of higher learning in the U.S.
Another mason, El Paso's 2nd Mayor Melton A. Jones, an attorney by trade educated and taught Spanish speaking kids the English language. All from the comfort of his home.
Recently, Magoffin was made an endowed member of the masonic lodge by a prominent attorney.
Joseph Magoffin (EPISD History)
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
The "new" Toltec Club building located at 602 Magoffin Ave. The Toltec Club was an exclusive club for prominent El...
This is the First Baptist Church at Magoffin and San Antonio, completed in March of 1885. It cost $6,930.00 to...
Octavia Magoffin Glasgow (1900-1986) was the granddaughter of Joseph Magoffin. She played an important role in preserving her family home...
Celsa V. Luna mother of Martin Luna in El Paso, Texas.
Sisters of Perpetual Adoration - 1952
Dining room, Magoffin Home. St. Margaret's Orphanage was in Mission Valley of El Paso, TX.
"Ronnie",Tour guide-Magiffin Home
Master Bedroom Magoffin Home
Toilet Magoffin Home
Master Piano in Magoffin House
Opened in 2010 recognized for its "environmentally innovative design" and is composed mostly of limestone and copper.
One of the first Catholic Churches built in El Paso, Texas was completed in 1893.
the Sisters of the Order of Perpetual Adoration moved to this site in 1927 looking to escape religious persecution in...
Beautiful picture from the entrance to the Magoffin Home