The image shows Hotel Dieu in 1953. It was situated at the corner of Stanton and Arizona streets.
The old building had gradually been substituted by this new construction.
In 1892 Sister Stella had bought the site and with $60,000 borrowed from the Motherhouse, three Daughters of Charity started building Hotel Dieu in 1893. It was the first general hospital in El Paso, Texas. There was no electricity and lighting was done by gas. Heat was provided by wood fires. In need for more trained personnel, the sisters also started a nursing school connected with the Hotel Dieu in 1898.
In 1987, the hospital was sold to Millbrook, and the name was changed to Landmark Medical Center. One year later, the hospital was sold again. Columbia purchased the medical center and closed it later that same year. The building was demolished in 2003.
New Hotel Dieu Hospital
Report this entry
More from the same community-collection
Krakaver - Zork & Moye. Located at 117 San Francisco
San Jacinto Plaza
United States Tires. United States Rubber Company and Associated Companies.
B. Farber & Co.
Perry-Kirkpatrick Realty Co.
El Paso Auto Sales Company. Located at Myrtle Av.
San Antonio Street Caples building dead end (bluementhal above). Little Caples building to the right. Rio Grande Valley Bank building...
Christy Auto Co.
San Francisco street looking West. Union Depot is at the West end of San Francisco street.
San Antonio Street looking west, Hotel Paso Del Norte at the end of the street.
The White House Located on the NW corner of Pioneer Plaza.
Wigwam Theater. Located at 106 East San Antonio Street
El Paso Streetcar: Car #1506 being secured for travel by Brookville Equipment Corp. employee.